02 August 2014

Jan de Hartog's "The Inspector"


94536


Originally titled "Lisa"

I read this (one of my mother's books) when in Fifth form (age 15), and have Never forgotten it.

It is a lump-in-the-throat book, a weep-maker book, a drama - based on an Inspector in Europe, post-WW2, who is tasked with supervising the prevention of smuggling Jews wanting to get away from the world of their horrors and make it into Palestine, rejecting his role.
On meeting one young woman whose tale of the tortuous imprisonment moves him deeply, he instead leaves his post and attempts to get her "home".

(The book was made into a film, which I only discovered a few moments ago.

All my reviews at Good Reads (not many there, actually) Should be found at this URL...
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/31193129-lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Lynne.
I just wanted to say...